Scholarships recognize achievement, provide academic recognition, extend scholarly encouragement, and offset financial need. The College of Letters & Science has approximately 125 awards for currently enrolled Letters & Science students ranging from $500-$3,500 in one time disbursements and multi-year awards.
Applicants are considered for many scholarships by completing one of the following applications:
• College of Letters & Science Scholarships Application for Current First Year Students is available to non-transfer students who are currently in their first year of enrollment regardless of academic standing by credit completion. Eligible students must not be new to UW-Madison in the spring 2020 semester or graduating in spring or summer semesters of 2020.
• College of Letters & Science Scholarships Application for Sophomores, Juniors & Seniors is available to students who are current sophomores, juniors, or seniors who first enrolled at UW-Madison prior to summer semester 2019 or transfer students from another higher education institution who enrolled prior to spring semester 2020. Eligible students must not be graduating in spring or summer semesters of 2020.
Visit the Wisconsin Scholarship Hub (WiSH) for application materials.
The current academic year application cycle opened December 9, 2019 and has a submission deadline of February 16, 2020. Scholarship recipients will be notified by the end of the spring 2020 semester with associated scholarship disbursements applied to the 2020-2021 academic year. Student financial aid packages may be impacted by scholarship awards. It is recommended that students contact the financial aid office to learn about potential impact on aid packages as a step in the application process.
Students pursuing Letters & Science degrees, who are enrolled full-time, have a minimum 2.50 GPA, and complete an application are considered for Letters & Science scholarships. Please review the Letters & Science criteria for more detailed information about eligibility and selection. In addition to Letters & Science scholarship selection criteria, donor preferences guide award decision (geographic, area of study, GPA, academic level, etc.).
Additionally, the College of Letters & Science administers several scholarship competitions through the year by specific application process.
• Tommy G. Thompson Leadership Scholarship
• Richard Ralph Winter Phoenix Rising Humanitarian Scholarship
• Liberal Arts Essay Competition
• Ginsberg Family Undergraduate Excellence Award
• Mathea and Lawless Mollere Pre-Medicine Scholarship
• Paul R. Ebling Pre-Medicine Scholarship
• Louise Troxell Award
• Edna Kerngood Glicksman Award
The College of Letters & Science is grateful to all donors that make scholarship awards possible. Students who are awarded scholarships are required to write thank you letters and attend functions with donors. There is an expectation that, when able, the student will give back in some way in the future. It is important to the College to continue to grow scholarships for future Letters & Science students.